Electric vehicles (or EVs for short) have become popular since Tesla Motors announced their electric sports car in 2006. Since then, more affordable options, like the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, have helped boost the popularity of EVs.
Today, EVs are so popular that electric vehicle charging stations can be found in homes, at office buildings, and even on the road. If you are thinking of joining the 9,000+ EV drivers in the state of Ohio, Beltz Home Service Co. wants to help you install your own EV charging station at home!
If you need electrical services for your pool or hot tub, Beltz Home Service Co. has you covered there too!
Why Switch to an Electric Vehicle?
There are many reasons why people are choosing to switch to an EV including:
- To reduce emissions
- To save money on gas
- To do your part to clean up the air in your city
- To support a greater diversity of fuel choices in the US and reduce our dependency on foreign oil
- To take advantage of tax credits offered in some states (not Ohio) for driving EVs.
If you do choose to purchase an electric car, you will need to install a charging station at your home. Call Beltz Home Service Co. today to speak with a member of our team about EV charging station installation!
What Should You Consider When Choosing a Charging Station?
These are some factors that should be considered when looking at different electric car charging stations.
- Cost - The average cost for a home EV charging station (including installation) is between $1,100 and $1,200. Depending on the type of charging station, though, the cost can be as low as $800 or as high as $3,000.
- Amperage - The recommended amperage for an at-home charging station is 30 amps. Keep in mind that a 30 amp charging station requires a circuit breaker that is rated for no less than 40 amps.
- Cable Length - Standard length for EV charging cables is 15-25 ft. Make sure to choose a charging station with a long enough cable to reach from the wall to your car's charging port.
- Connectivity - There are charging stations available with wi-fi connectivity. They have touchscreens, timers, and meters to track your electricity usage. Wi-fi has no effect on the charging ability of the station, though, and can drive up the price.
Beltz Home Service Co. also offers 24-hour emergency electrical services!