If you are installing a new pool or hot tub in your yard, there are a lot of logistical things that need to be worked out. One of the issues to be addressed is the electrical wiring.
Beltz Home Service Co. offers full electrical pool and hot tub wiring services. Give us a call now to speak with an experienced electrician near you!
Make sure your home’s wiring is up to code, with a professional whole house safety inspection.
What Are the Requirements for Pool and Spa Wiring?
Water and electricity can be a deadly combination. That's why there are requirements for different aspects of electrical wiring.
Here are a few of those requirements as they pertain to pool and hot tub wiring:
- Any electrical connections made to your swimming pool or spa have to be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter (or GFCI). This device protects you from electrocution in case of a circuit fault.
- An electrical disconnect has to be visible from the pool area (but no less than 5 feet away from the pool). This gives you the option to manually shut off the electricity in case of an emergency.
- All underground wiring has to run at least 5 feet from the edge of the spa or pool wall. (If the wiring feeds into a heater, pump, filter, or lighting in the pool or spa, this rule doesn't apply).
- If there are phone or power lines hanging over your pool or hot tub, they can't hang less than 22.5 ft above the water level. If you have a diving board or platform, the lines cannot hang lower than 14.5 ft above the diving board or platform.
Why Use a Professional Pool Wiring Service?
There are so many codes and restrictions to keep in mind when it comes to electrical work. That's why it's always better to have a professional handle your electrical wiring.
Pool and hot tub electrical installation should be left to the professionals because:
- It's safer - There's no chance you'll get electrocuted setting up your pool wiring if you're not doing it
- You can be sure it was done right - An experienced professional is always more reliable than a DIY-er
- It's more cost effective - Poorly installed wiring can also cause a host of issues that can lead to hundreds of dollars in repairs.
Check out some of the other electrical services we offer in your area, too!